DATE OF BIRTH 31 July 1961 (Lucca)
1980 - Qualification of agronomist (high school)
1988 - Agriculture degree, University of Pisa;
1988- Agronomist professional qualification
Italian Society of Agricultural Economics (Società Italiana di Economia Agraria)
European Association of Agricultural Economics
Association of Environmental Analysts (Associazione Analisti Ambientali)
Since 2005 - University of Pisa – Faculty of Engeneering
Associate Professor - Research and Teaching Activities
1991-2005 University of Pisa – Faculty of Agricultural Science
Senior Researcher - Research and Teaching Activities
1987-1991- Inspector of Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry
Main issues of research:
The scientific interests of Massimo Rovai can be summarised in the followings issues:
- Sustainable planning and management of the territory and rural areas.
- Evaluation of the environmental, natural anche agricultural resources; multicriteria analysis.
- Carriyng capacity analysis and environmental services evaluation of the rural areas.
- Geographic data analysis;
- The study of production agricultural systems at local level, and the analysis of the main factors affecting their evolution.
- The analysis of the relationship between the farm and the external environment, focusing on the processes of diffusion of innovations and knowledge.
- The relationship between agriculture and environment, focusing on the identification of instruments for the evaluation of the agri-environmental performances at farm level.
- The processes of rural development ant the role of the valorisation of the agricultural products on territorial basis.
- The assessment of the environmental and territorial resources.
Recent research projects:
2011-___ SOLINSA - Learning and Innovation Networks for sustainable agriculture - Research of the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Commission.
2011-____ FOODLINKS - Research of the Seventh Framework Programme of the European Commission.
2010-__ ARSIA research - Innovation and qualification of the floricultural products in Tuscany (Coord. Prof. A. Lenzi).
2010-__ - ARSIA research – The role of the farms to prevent the negetive effects of the hydraulic and hydro-geological disasters in the Tuscany mountain areas: the pubblic - private contracts.
2009-11 - REGIONE TOSCANA research – Capability Land: the measure of the Carrying Capacity and its application in the local planning.
2008-10 - ARSIA research - SOFILVU The use of the compost in agriculture: analysis of the effects on the agricultural soils and in the urban contexts and analysis of the organisation of the future supply-chain on the compost in Tuscany.
2008-09 - ARSIA research - MULTIDIM The evolution of the multifunctionality activities of the farms.
2006-07 - FONDAZIONE CASSA DI RiSPARMIO DI PISA - The protection and valorisation of the Lari's cherry (Pisa - Italy).
2004-06 - ARSlA research - The organic zootechnics of the Tuscany. SWOT analysis of the technical, managerial and entrepreneurial situation for the valorization of the meat production (Coord. Prof. E. Salvini).
2005-06 - ARSlA research- The development of the seeds sectors of the Tuscany (Italy)
2005-06 - COFlN research - The significance of the forest on the strategic development of the mountains area of the Tuscany.
2004-05 - COFIN research - Partecipative management and planning of the Landscape (Coord. Prof G. Brunori).
2003/2004 - MIUR Project Policies and models of sustainable management of the rural landscape in Tuscany and Ligury (Co-ordinator: Prof G. Brunori) 2003073982_005 07
2003 - ARSIA interdisciplinary project "BIOVIT" about Vegetal oil for the Tuscan industry (Co-ordinator: Prof. M. Mazzoncini).
2003 - research of the Scuola Superiore S. Anna about Monitoring of the agricultural activities in the S. Rossore Park.